C-EDR Technology Reduces Costs and Improves Water Recovery
We developed a proprietary Capacitive Electrodialysis Reversal (C-EDR) technology for the removal of ions from solutions such as seawater. By using high capacitance electrodes coupled with special features controlling osmotic back flow and advanced electrical control equipment, C-EDR technology improves upon conventional electrodialysis desalination, allowing for its use in desalination of seawater at lower energy consumption levels than Reverse Osmosis (RO).
A desalination system that lowers energy consumption and is very durable and flexible with respect to inlet and outlet parameters. With the use of C-EDR technology, overall energy consumption is reduced and the operating cost of producing fresh water from seawater is lowered by 20-30% as compared to the best RO systems.
The capacitive electrodes eliminate the release of gases at the electrodes, mitigating corrosion and recurring maintenance costs that plague other systems. our C-EDR technology also prevents the back flow of water molecules from the diluted product water to the concentrate wastewater through Osmotic Flow Control.
|RO||High operating costs due to fouling of membranes||Lower pretreatment and maintenance requirements|
|ED||Electrolysis side reactions at electrodes cause corrosion||High capacitance electrodes prevent electrolysis and corrosion|
|ED||Electro-osmotic (water) flows across membranes||Patented Osmotic Flow Control Technology prevents product water losses and improves operating efficiencies.|
Standalone: C-EDR can desalinate water from the intake to the final product with no chemical additions and without pH alteration or end-product mineral additions.
Concentrate Reduction: C-EDR can further desalinate the concentrate stream from an existing RO plant to save water and reduce concentrate waste disposal volumes.
Standalone: C-EDR can desalinate water from seawater to potability with low energy consumption, no chemical additions and lower filtration requirement.
Retrofit: C-EDR can be used between the water intake of an existing RO plant and the RO plant to partially desalinate the water from 35,000 ppm to 20,000 ppm which allows the RO plant to produce up to 50% more output without increasing intake feed.
A Cost-effective Solution
With world demand for water desalination products and services projected to increase 9.3% annually, our Capacitive Electrodialysis Reversal (C-EDR) technology is a cost-effective solution for drinking water and agricultural or industrial applications.
- Modular placement in front of existing reverse osmosis plants (Pre-treat?).
- Standalone application for municipality desalination.
- Desalinate ponds contaminated by road salt run-off for agriculture and orchard use.
- Desalinate water for use in golf courses.
- Oilfield water with salt concentrations ranging from brackish to 100,000 ppm.
- Desalinate water for boiler feed in the case of in-situ steam floods.
- Desalinate water streams back to the plant inlet in the case of oil sands mining extraction processes.
- Desalinate oilfield produced water for hydraulic fracturing requirements.
- Treatment of water to an ultra-pure level that is suitable for the electronics or pharmaceutical industry.